Representative Becker has quickly established himself as someone who gets things done. Here are just a few of the bills Brian worked to get passed during his first term in office:
- HB 5780: Removes barriers to regional cooperation so municipalities may enter into agreements that save tax dollars.
- SB 1243:Among other things, led to the creation of the "Lead By Example" energy-efficiency program run by the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, which saves the state money and creates jobs.
- HB 5496: Allows the Program Review and Investigation Committee ("PRI") to focus on major issues facing Connecticut by reassigning oversight of programs to the respective legislative committees most closely associated with their purpose. With this change now in place, PRI is now pursuing efforts to maximize federal grants received by Connecticut and to investigate Medicaid fraud. To read more, click here.
- SB 23: In the wake of Hurricane Irene and the October Storm, this act will lead to better planning and preparation for emergencies.
- SB 41: Seeks ways to help prepare autistic young adults for the workforce.
- HB 5021: In addition to permitting Sunday sales of alcohol, contains a provision allowing package store owners to conduct "on-site," fee-based wine education and tasting classes. This gives these small business owners another potential revenue stream.
- HB 5143: During a state of emergency, allows food vendors to donate perishable items to an emergency shelter before they perish, and still make an insurance claim for the loss.
For more information on Brian's work at the legislature, go to his legislative website at: http://www.housedems.ct.gov/Becker.